HT Bureau
DIPHU/HAMREN/IMPHAL, Oct 10: Tension continues to prevail along the Assam-Meghalaya border in West Karbi Anglong following Thursday’s violent clash between Khasis from Meghalaya and Karbi villagers of Assam at Tapat, which claimed the life of a Karbi villager, Oriwel Timung, and left another injured.
The situation remains tense but under control with security personnel deployed in the sensitive areas.
Condemning the killing, Chief Executive Member (CEM) of the Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council (KAAC), Tuliram Ronghang, said the attack on villagers of Tapat by miscreants from Meghalaya was “inhuman and unprovoked.”
He announced that a Commando Training Centre will soon be set up in West Karbi Anglong to strengthen border security and prevent further incidents.
“The Block I and II in West Karbi Anglong, as per the 17 November 1951 notification, are rightly part of Karbi Anglong. Villagers from Meghalaya have been illegally cultivating paddy on land belonging to the people of Tapat,” the CEM told The Hills Times.
He said the proposed Commando Training Centre or Battalion Camp has already been discussed with Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma and is aimed at ending the recurring inter-state border disturbances that have long affected the residents of the area.
In response to the clash, the District Magistrate of West Karbi Anglong, Saranga Pani Sharma, has issued a prohibitory order under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita, 2023, to maintain peace and public safety.
The order bans any processions, rallies, or gatherings of five or more persons in public places and prohibits any statements or messages—verbal, written, or electronic—that may provoke unrest or disturb public tranquility.
Earlier in the day, the postmortem of the deceased Oriwel Timung was conducted at Diphu Medical College and Hospital in the presence of Socheng MAC Headsing Rongphar, Karbi Students Association (KSA) president Thomson Rongpi, KSA-Inglongpho president Barnabas Killing, and several others including GIN-FED Chairman Thongthang Touthang, Art & Culture Development Board Chairman Laichan Engleng, Hill People Cultural Forum secretary general Dhiraj Difusa, and ASDC secretary Daniel Teron. The postmortem confirmed that Timung was attacked with a sharp-edged weapon.
His body was later handed over to his family.
The Karbi Students Association has expressed deep sorrow and strong condemnation over Timung’s death, holding the CEM of KAAC and Assam’s Border Protection and Development Minister Pijush Hazarika accountable for “negligence and inaction” that have contributed to the worsening border situation.
The KSA demanded immediate justice for the victim, adequate compensation for his family, and punishment for the perpetrators.
It also reiterated the need for a permanent and peaceful resolution to the Assam-Meghalaya boundary issue, especially in Block I and II, through meaningful dialogue and concrete administrative measures.
Meanwhile, Baithalangso MLA Rupsing Teron convened a meeting at Khanduli with border villagers, community leaders, and student bodies to restore calm and prevent escalation.
The meeting was attended by former Chairman of the Border Area Development Board Augustine Hanse, Karbi Students’ Association (KSA) president Sarthe Ronghang, and several villagers.
Teron appealed to the people to remain calm and refrain from retaliation, assuring that efforts are being made to restore peace through dialogue and coordination between both state administrations.
All movement across the inter-state boundary has been suspended, with the Khanduli Gate closed and boulders placed on the road by unknown persons, resulting in an undeclared bandh that has disrupted transport and communication in the region.
Reacting to the developments, Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma termed the incident “unfortunate” and urged citizens not to resort to violence.
He said that the clash stemmed from long-standing differences over land ownership along the border and assured that both states are in talks to resolve the issue.
“The Lapangap area is a point of difference. We are in talks with Assam. Both sides are maintaining their stands, but we are working to find a solution. It is very unfortunate, and I appeal to the people not to resort to violence,” Sangma said in Imphal, where he is on a two-day visit.
He said such disputes often arise during the paddy harvesting season and that peace committees and local coordination efforts are in place to prevent escalation.
Sangma also noted that the Assam and Meghalaya governments have already resolved six out of twelve areas of difference, and discussions are continuing for the remaining sectors.
Both governments have urged restraint and dialogue, while administrative and security officials from both sides remain on high alert to prevent further violence and restore normalcy in the affected border areas.






