Himanta welcomes SC’s refusal to grant bail to activists Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

GUWAHATI, Jan 5: Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Monday welcomed the Supreme Court’s refusal to grant bail to activists Umar Khalid and Sharjeel Imam for their alleged involvement in the protests against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) in New Delhi’s Shaheen Bagh in 2020.

During the CAA agitation, they had given the slogan of ‘Azadi’ and one of them had also issued a threat of severing North East from the rest of the country, the chief minister alleged on the sidelines of a programme here.

- Advertisement -

‘The bail plea of the member of the ‘Tukde-Tukde Gang’ who had threatened to secede the Northeast from India has been rejected by the Supreme Court and I welcome it,’ Sarma said.

This nation shall forever remain united, indivisible and strong, he added.

The Supreme Court earlier in the day refused to grant bail to activists Umar Khalid and Sharjeel Imam in the matter, saying there was a prima facie case against them under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

The apex court, however, granted bail to five others, saying “hierarchy of participation” and saying all accused in the case do not stand on the same footing.

- Advertisement -

Imam was lodged for a few months in Guwahati Central Jail after he was arrested from Jehanabad in Bihar in January 2020 for his alleged involvement in anti-CAA protests during the COVID pandemic. He had also tested  COVID positive and was admitted to a hospital here.

Imam, who was active in the Shaheen Bagh protests, was booked under sedition laws for his speech where he allegedly said that Assam should be cut off from the rest of the country. He was later taken to New Delhi and lodged in Tihar Jail. (PTI)

- Advertisement -
The Hills Times
The Hills Timeshttps://www.thehillstimes.in/
Welcome to The Hills Times, your trusted source for daily news and updates in English from the heart of Assam, India. Since our establishment in 2000, we've been dedicated to providing timely and accurate information to our readers in Diphu and Guwahati. As the first English newspaper in the then undemarcated Karbi Anglong district, we've forged a strong connection with diverse communities and age groups, earning a reputation for being a reliable source of news and insights. In addition to our print edition, we keep pace with the digital age through our website, https://thehillstimes.in, where we diligently update our readers with the latest happenings day by day. Whether it's local events, regional developments, or global news, The Hills Times strives to keep you informed with dedication and integrity. Join us in staying ahead of the curve and exploring the world through our lens.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -