UNC launches economic blockade in Manipur

Organisation says blockade will continue until remaining six hostages are rescued safely

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

IMPHAL, May 17: The United Naga Council (UNC) on Sunday evening announced the launch of an “inter-district economic blockade” along national highways passing through Naga areas of Manipur following the expiry of the deadline for the safe release of six remaining Naga hostages allegedly held by “Kuki militants”.

The UNC stated that the blockade would continue with immediate effect until the safe rescue and release of the remaining hostages were ensured.

- Advertisement -

According to the organisation, it had earlier issued an ultimatum to the Government of Manipur on May 14 demanding the immediate and safe release of 20 Naga civilians allegedly held hostage at Leilon Vaiphei village and Sapermaina Kuki village within 24 hours.

The UNC said 14 hostages were released on the morning of May 15, but six persons, including two pastors, continued to remain in captivity.

The organisation further stated that the Manipur government had sought additional time until 2 pm on May 16 to trace and release the remaining hostages. The deadline was later extended again to facilitate search operations and rescue efforts.

However, according to the UNC, the six hostages had still not been rescued despite repeated extensions and continued operations by the state machinery. “Given the situation, we are constrained to launch an inter-district economic blockade along the national highways in the Naga areas in Manipur with immediate effect until the safe rescue and release of the Naga hostages are duly carried out,” the organisation said in its statement. (NNN)

- Advertisement -
The Hills Timeshttps://thehillstimes.in/
Welcome to The Hills Times, your trusted source for daily news and updates in English from the heart of Assam, India. Since our establishment in 2000, we've been dedicated to providing timely and accurate information to our readers in Diphu and Guwahati. As the first English newspaper in the then undemarcated Karbi Anglong district, we've forged a strong connection with diverse communities and age groups, earning a reputation for being a reliable source of news and insights. In addition to our print edition, we keep pace with the digital age through our website, https://thehillstimes.in, where we diligently update our readers with the latest happenings day by day. Whether it's local events, regional developments, or global news, The Hills Times strives to keep you informed with dedication and integrity. Join us in staying ahead of the curve and exploring the world through our lens.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -