29.5 C
Guwahati
Sunday, August 31, 2025

Conrad and myself will visit disputed areas later as a goodwill gesture: Himanta

2nd phase talks border talks with Assam today

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

HT Bureau

SHILLONG, May 23: The first part of the second phase talks on inter-state boundary dispute between Meghalaya and Assam will be held on Wednesday.

- Advertisement -

The talks will take place at State Guest House Koinadora, Khanapara at 11 am.

Chief minister of Meghalaya and Assam –Conrad Sangma and Himanta Biswa Sarma will attend the talks.

In the second phase of talks, six areas of dispute will be taken up for discussion.

These areas include Langpih, Borduar, Nongwah-Mawtamur, Deshdoomreah, Block-I & Block-II, and Khanduli-Psiar.

- Advertisement -

It may be mentioned that the other six areas of dispute – Upper Tarabari, Gizang, Hahim, Boklapara, Khanapara-Pilingkata and Ratachera were taken up in the first phase of talks between the two states.

Meanwhile, Sarma said on Tuesday in Guwahati that he and his Meghalaya counterpart would  visit the disputed areas later as a goodwill gesture.

“The Meghalaya CM will come to Guwahati tomorrow and discussion will be held on finding solutions for the remaining six areas,” he said.

Assam and Meghalaya have a longstanding dispute in 12 areas along the 884.9-km-long interstate border.

- Advertisement -

The two states had signed a memorandum of understanding in March 2022 in the presence of Union Home Minister Amit Shah in New Delhi towards ending the disputes in six areas.

Meghalaya was carved out of Assam in 1972 and had since then challenged the Assam Reorganisation Act of 1971, which is recognised by Assam as its border.

On the progress of talks with Nagaland over oil exploration along the disputed boundary between the two states, Sarma said, “We have sent our proposal to the Nagaland government and we are now waiting for their response.

“We have not pursued the matter much as it was Nagaland who had sought our views. Now it is up to them”.

Sarma and his Nagaland counterpart Neiphiu Rio had on April 20 agreed in principle to go ahead with oil exploration in areas along their disputed boundary for the economic benefit of both states. (With agency inputs)

- Advertisement -
The Hills Times
The Hills Timeshttps://thehillstimes.in/
Welcome to The Hills Times, your trusted source for daily news and updates in English from the heart of Assam, India. Since our establishment in 2000, we've been dedicated to providing timely and accurate information to our readers in Diphu and Guwahati. As the first English newspaper in the then undemarcated Karbi Anglong district, we've forged a strong connection with diverse communities and age groups, earning a reputation for being a reliable source of news and insights. In addition to our print edition, we keep pace with the digital age through our website, https://thehillstimes.in, where we diligently update our readers with the latest happenings day by day. Whether it's local events, regional developments, or global news, The Hills Times strives to keep you informed with dedication and integrity. Join us in staying ahead of the curve and exploring the world through our lens.
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -
10 Indian Islands That Feel Like a Foreign Getaway 6 Hill Stations in South India That Shine After the Monsoons The 10 Largest Lakes in the World South Indian Breakfasts Beyond Idli And Dosa Top Tourist Destinations In Kerala