29.2 C
Guwahati
Friday, August 29, 2025

Rengma Reserve Forest – now ENCROACHMENT FREE: CM

Over 1,500 families displaced as Assam government reclaims nearly 1,500 hectares in Golaghat as eviction drive enters day 2

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

GOLAGHAT, July 30: A massive eviction drive to clear encroachments from nearly 1,500 hectares of forest land in Assam’s Golaghat district continued for the second consecutive day on Wednesday, officials said.

The eviction drive, once completed, will displace around 1,500 families, mostly from the Muslim community, they added.

- Advertisement -

The exercise started early on Tuesday for clearing the encroachments from Rengma Reserve Forest in Uriamghat in Sarupathar sub-division along the Assam-Nagaland border.

Although the government claimed there were encroachments in the area, senior officials said there were houses under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Gramin (PMAY-G), water connection under Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM), government schools under Sarva Siksha Abhiyan (SSA), sub-health centres under National Health Mission (NHM) and electricity connections to almost every household, besides markets, mosques, madrassas and churches.

“Today, the eviction drive started at Sonaribeel and Pithaghat areas around 9 am. So far, everything is progressing as per plans and peacefully,” a district administration official told PTI.

Issuing a statement later, the district administration said that a total of 180 “unauthorised” households in Pithaghat and 98 in Sonaribeel were evicted during the day’s operation.

- Advertisement -

Prior intimation was issued to all parties concerned and officials confirmed that no individuals were present inside the structures at the time of eviction, it added.

On Tuesday, the eviction drive started from the main market area in Bidyapur area, followed by residential locations. During the drive, around 120 commercial structures spread over approximately 4.2 hectares of forest land were demolished.

Special Chief Secretary (Forest) M K Yadava said that approximately 250 hectares of reserve forest land have been cleared of encroachments so far as part of the ongoing efforts, and emphasised that the “reclaimed land” will be restored to its natural green cover as part of a broader ecological regeneration initiative.

Commenting on the drive, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said that the government is on a mission to “reclaim” what rightfully belongs to “us”.

- Advertisement -

“Our forests, our lands, our Satras, our agriculture fields; we are going ALL OUT to ensure that only legitimate Indian citizens enjoy the joy of being in Assam. Rengma Reserve Forest – now ENCROACHMENT FREE,” he said in a post on X.

The district administration official claimed that around 10,500 to 11,000 bighas of land were encroached upon by the people.

“Around 2,000 families were living in those areas. Out of them, notices were served to about 1,500 families, who illegally settled there. The remaining families are forest dwellers and have certificates from the Forest Rights Committee (FRC),” he added.

The families, whose houses are being demolished, belong to the Muslim community, while those having FRC certificates are from Bodo, Nepali, Manipuri and other communities, the official said.

“Around 80 per cent of the families who had received notices have already vacated their illegal settlements in the last few days. We are only demolishing their homes,” he added.

Inspector General of Assam Police (Law and Order) Akhilesh Kumar Singh, who camped at the site, noted that the operation is witnessing effective cooperation between the governments and police forces of Assam and Nagaland.

The operation was led by the Forest Department with active support from the Golaghat district administration and Assam Police in close coordination with the Government of Nagaland and the Nagaland Police.

To ensure a smooth and peaceful execution of the operation, extensive security arrangements were put in place with the involvement of CRPF.

While speaking to PTI, the affected families, however, questioned the rationale of the eviction drive and claimed that they were brought to this location by the earlier governments to protect the area from “invasion” from Nagaland.

They claimed that most of the alleged encroachers’ previous generation was settled in the forest by the Janata Party government, headed by ex-CM Golap Borbora, in 1978-79 and the first AGP government, which came to power in 1985.

The government-run Bidyapur LP School was established in 1978, according to the signboard on the school building.

All the government schools in the alleged encroached area have been converted into forest camps before the start of the eviction drive.

Notably, the assembly was informed in March that almost 83,000 hectares of land belonging to Assam were occupied by four neighbouring states, and Nagaland captured the highest amount of land in Assam — 59,490.21 hectares.

Ali Kazi, who was affected by the eviction drive, told PTI that they have been cooperating with the authorities in the drive.

“We only requested the government to settle us somewhere else, but they refused. We now have no option but to stay in tents. We have not been given even drinking water, forget about any food. It’s very inhuman,” he added.

The encroached area, as claimed by the government, was provided with electricity supply, schools, JJM water connections, health centres, ration cards and houses under PM Awas Yojana, among other benefits from the state. (PTI)

- Advertisement -
The Hills Times
The Hills Timeshttps://www.thehillstimes.in/
Welcome to The Hills Times, your trusted source for daily news and updates in English from the heart of Assam, India. Since our establishment in 2000, we've been dedicated to providing timely and accurate information to our readers in Diphu and Guwahati. As the first English newspaper in the then undemarcated Karbi Anglong district, we've forged a strong connection with diverse communities and age groups, earning a reputation for being a reliable source of news and insights. In addition to our print edition, we keep pace with the digital age through our website, https://thehillstimes.in, where we diligently update our readers with the latest happenings day by day. Whether it's local events, regional developments, or global news, The Hills Times strives to keep you informed with dedication and integrity. Join us in staying ahead of the curve and exploring the world through our lens.
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -
6 Hill Stations in South India That Shine After the Monsoons The 10 Largest Lakes in the World South Indian Breakfasts Beyond Idli And Dosa Top Tourist Destinations In Kerala 10 Most Beautiful Women in the World
6 Hill Stations in South India That Shine After the Monsoons The 10 Largest Lakes in the World South Indian Breakfasts Beyond Idli And Dosa Top Tourist Destinations In Kerala 10 Most Beautiful Women in the World