HT Digital,
Guwahati, Jan 22 : The District and Sessions Judge’s court on Thursday concluded hearings on the bail applications of three accused in the Zubeen Garg death case and reserved its order, with the verdict scheduled to be delivered on January 30.
Of the five accused who moved the court seeking bail, detailed arguments were heard in the cases of Amritprava Mahanta, Paresh Baishya and Nandeshwar Bora. The bail pleas of the remaining two accused, Shyamkanu Mahanta and Sandipan Garg, were withdrawn after their counsels informed the court that bail was not being pressed at this stage.
Special Public Prosecutor Ziaul Kamar submitted that the prosecution had no objection to the withdrawal of the two bail applications. However, written objections were filed opposing bail for Amritprava Mahanta, Nandeshwar Bora and Paresh Baishya.
Advocate Apurba Kumar Sharma, general secretary of the Lawyers’ Association, Guwahati, confirmed that arguments on the three bail petitions had been completed and the court had reserved its order, which will be pronounced on January 30.
The deceased’s wife, Garima Garg, and sister, Pami Barthakur, were present during the proceedings. Speaking to the media, Garima said the family was satisfied with the developments and would await the court’s decision later this month.
Earlier, on January 10, the Assam Cabinet appointed a five member team of lawyers, headed by Special Public Prosecutor Kamar, to conduct the prosecution in the case.
Meanwhile, proceedings related to the matter have also commenced before Singapore’s coroner’s court. During a hearing on January 14, police told the court that Garg had consumed alcohol, repeatedly refused to wear a life vest and jumped into the water from a yacht.
With the hearings concluded, the focus now shifts to January 30, when the court will rule on the bail pleas of the three accused.






