25 C
Guwahati
Saturday, August 30, 2025

Eviction drive launched to clear encroached village in Nalbari dist

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

NALBARI, June 30: The Assam government launched an eviction drive on Monday morning to clear encroachments from 82 bighas of village grazing reserve (VGR) land in Assam’s Nalbari district, officials said.

The eviction drive began at Bakrikuchi village under Borkhetry revenue circle early in the morning amid tight security.

- Advertisement -

No untoward incidents have been reported so far, District Commissioner Nibedan Das Patowary told reporters here.

Through a notice, the circle office on June 3 asked the encroachers at VGR to clear the land but the residents approached the Gauhati High Court which ruled that all VGR lands across the state must be cleared.

VGR land is designated for the specific purpose of cattle grazing in villages.

“The people residing on the encroached land cooperated with the district administration and over 70 per cent of them had moved out with their belongings,” Patowary said.

- Advertisement -

Around 300 families had settled on the VGR and they are cooperating with the administration, he said.

Around 500 security personnel have been deployed in the area and more have been kept on standby to prevent any untoward incidents, IGP (Law and Order) Akhilesh Kumar Singh, who is also camping at the site, said. “The eviction has been peaceful so far and we have not faced any resistance.

A total of 452 bighas have been encroached. But people have built houses only on 82 bighas. They use the remaining area for fisheries and agriculture. A report is being prepared and action will be taken accordingly, a circle official said.

There are also schools, mosques and Anganwadi centres in the village.

- Advertisement -

Altogether 12 bulldozers have been pressed into service to demolish the unauthorised structures.

Many of the encroachers were seen camping with their belongings on the main road leading to the village and they demanded that they should be adequately rehabilitated.

This is the second eviction drive in June. The earlier drive was carried out on June 15 and 16, when 667 families in Hasilabeel village in Goalpara district were evicted.

Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had recently said that eviction drives to clear encroached land will continue.

Many eviction drives have been carried out over the last four years, and his government has ensured that the cleared land is not encroached upon again, Sarma said. “We have conducted at least one eviction drive in each district, and our biggest achievement is that now people are afraid to settle on encroached land,” Sarma had said. (PTI)

- Advertisement -
The Hills Times
The Hills Timeshttps://www.thehillstimes.in/
Welcome to The Hills Times, your trusted source for daily news and updates in English from the heart of Assam, India. Since our establishment in 2000, we've been dedicated to providing timely and accurate information to our readers in Diphu and Guwahati. As the first English newspaper in the then undemarcated Karbi Anglong district, we've forged a strong connection with diverse communities and age groups, earning a reputation for being a reliable source of news and insights. In addition to our print edition, we keep pace with the digital age through our website, https://thehillstimes.in, where we diligently update our readers with the latest happenings day by day. Whether it's local events, regional developments, or global news, The Hills Times strives to keep you informed with dedication and integrity. Join us in staying ahead of the curve and exploring the world through our lens.
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -
6 Hill Stations in South India That Shine After the Monsoons The 10 Largest Lakes in the World South Indian Breakfasts Beyond Idli And Dosa Top Tourist Destinations In Kerala 10 Most Beautiful Women in the World