HT Correspondent
LAHORIJAN, Dec 22: Tension prevailed along the Karbi Anglong–Nagaland border on Monday after an attempt by the Nagaland Police and civil administration to establish outposts on what Assam authorities asserted was their territory was thwarted following swift intervention.
The incident took place at the Lahorijan Fourlane Entry Tax Gate, where Nagaland officials reportedly began construction activities on both sides of the gate.
The move was immediately challenged by local authorities, leading to heated exchanges, after which the Nagaland contingent was asked to stop all work and retreat beyond the Karbi Anglong Entry Tax Gate.
In response to the development, a high-level inspection was carried out by senior officials of Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council and the district administration.
The delegation was led by Nirola Phangchopi, District Commissioner, Karbi Anglong, and included Pushparaj Singh, Superintendent of Police, along with Tensing Rongpi, Joint Secretary of the KAAC Land and Revenue Department.
Representatives of social organisations, including Karbi Students’ Association President Chunbang Desoi Teron, were also present.
Officials inspected the site and interacted with local residents amid growing concerns over territorial integrity.
During the inspection, KAAC officials asserted that the land around the entry tax gate does not fall under any “no-man’s-land” category, but is covered by valid land pattas held by local residents and influential individuals.
Sources in the KAAC Land and Revenue Department said such legal ownership weakens any claim of encroachment by Nagaland authorities.
The administration also took note of reports regarding a Karbi-owned establishment allegedly located within Dimapur, examining whether it had been cited as a justification for the recent movement by Nagaland officials.
Following discussions, construction activities were temporarily halted, with both sides agreeing to pursue a diplomatic resolution.
Authorities confirmed that a formal meeting between the KAAC and the Nagaland Government is expected in the first week of the New Year.
A joint survey and verification exercise has also been planned for next month to clearly demarcate the boundary.
Officials said any final decision on the placement of outposts would be taken only after the verification report is completed.
Meanwhile, local social organisations have remained on alert, urging the KAAC to ensure that no portion of Karbi Anglong land is conceded during the forthcoming negotiations.






