HT Digital
Guwahati, Jan 02: The Assam government will transfer ₹2.90 crore—its share of state GST collected from Roi Roi Binale, the final film of late singer Zubeen Garg—to the Kalaguru Foundation by January 2, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma announced on January 1.
The film, which has grossed ₹32 crore, has set a new benchmark for the Assamese film industry. Speaking to reporters during the New Year interaction programme Natun Diner Alap (Conversations of a New Day), Sarma said the GST amount would be handed over to the foundation established in Garg’s name.
In a significant development in the case related to Garg’s death, the chief minister said the state government would appoint a Special Public Prosecutor by January 12. “We are consulting a few senior criminal lawyers and expect to finalise the name by January 6,” Sarma said. He added that the government would also request the Gauhati High Court to consider a fast-track court for the trial. “The final decision rests with the high court, but we will make the request,” he noted.
Describing 2025 as “a very sad year for all Assamese,” Sarma said the loss of Zubeen Garg and the events that followed had deeply shaken the state.
Garg had travelled to Singapore in September last year to attend the North East India Festival, where he died under mysterious circumstances while swimming in the sea on September 19. The Assam Police took over the investigation and filed a chargesheet within three months.
The trial of the seven accused began last month at the Kamrup (Metro) District and Sessions Court. Festival chief organiser Shyamkanu Mahanta, Garg’s secretary Siddhartha Sharma, his cousin Sandipan Garg, and two personal security officers appeared before the court from Baksa Jail. Musician Shekharjyoti Goswami and singer Amritprava Mahanta joined the proceedings online from Haflong Jail.
According to the chargesheet filed on December 12, the Special Investigation Team has charged Mahanta, Sharma, Goswami and Amritprava with murder. Sandipan Garg, a suspended Assam Police officer, has been charged with culpable homicide not amounting to murder, while the two personal security officers face charges of criminal conspiracy and criminal breach of trust over alleged misappropriation of funds.






