HT Correspondent
HOWRAGHAT, Jan 20: The district administration recently carried out a large-scale eviction drive to recover government land under the Bakaliaghat Irrigation Department, removing long-standing illegal encroachments from the area.
Officials said around 350 bighas of land had been unlawfully occupied, where more than 755 houses had come up over the years, sheltering a population of over 2,000 people.
As part of the operation, a mosque situated within the encroached zone was also demolished.
The eviction exercise was conducted using 10 JCB excavators, while stringent security arrangements were put in place to prevent any untoward incident.
More than 500 security personnel were deployed to maintain law and order throughout the operation.
Authorities stated that eviction notices had been served earlier to the occupants, asking them to vacate the land before the drive.
The action, they said, forms part of a wider administrative effort to reclaim and safeguard government and department-owned land from unauthorised occupation.
The administration indicated that similar drives may continue in other areas as part of its ongoing anti-encroachment campaign.






