HT Correspondent
KHERONI, Jan 4: In the aftermath of the violent clashes in Kheroni, West Karbi Anglong, a delegation of the United Students Union of Karbi Anglong (USUKA) visited the residence of Linus Phangcho, the youth who lost his life in police firing, to express solidarity with the bereaved family.
The delegation, led by USUKA president Bibison Teron and secretary Jintu Hazarika, handed over a formal condolence letter and described the incident as a “dark day” for the region.
The student leaders expressed deep sorrow over the killing, stating that the incident has shocked the people of Assam.
Speaking to the family, Teron said USUKA extends its condolences and sympathy to the family of Linus Phangcho and urged the Government of Assam and the Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council to fulfil their commitment to carry out eviction from Village Grazing Reserve and Professional Grazing Reserve land at the earliest.
USUKA secretary Jintu Hazarika strongly condemned the police action, stating that the government must ensure that such incidents do not recur during democratic protests.
He further demanded that those injured and the family of the deceased be provided employment by the government.
The student organisation launched a sharp attack on both the Assam government and the KAAC, holding them responsible for the escalation of violence.
The leaders said the public had been protesting in a democratic manner to protect their “Jati, Mati and Bheti” (identity, land and base), but their voices were ignored by the authorities.
Holding the BJP-led government accountable for the bloodshed, the USUKA leaders claimed that the administration’s failure to engage in timely and meaningful dialogue with the protesters led to the tragic loss of life, which, they asserted, could have been avoided.






