HT Correspondent
KHERONI, May 18: A high-level bilateral meeting involving police and civil administration officials of West Karbi Anglong district in Assam and West Jaintia Hills district in Meghalaya witnessed tense scenes on Sunday after objections were raised over the participation of civilians in the closed-door discussions on the inter-state border dispute.
The meeting was held in the sensitive Tapat border area to discuss long-pending boundary issues between Assam and Meghalaya and explore measures to maintain law and order along the disputed region.
Senior officials from both states attended the deliberations.
Tension escalated after local residents from the Karbi community discovered that four civilians from the Meghalaya side had reportedly been allowed to enter the confidential administrative meeting.
Local people objected strongly, arguing that ordinary civilians should not be present during official discussions between the two administrations.
The situation soon led to heated arguments involving local residents, personnel of the Assam Police and the Meghalaya Police.
Following the protest and public opposition, the four Meghalaya civilians were eventually asked to leave the meeting venue, after which the discussions resumed behind closed doors.
Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Priti Kumari said discussions involving villagers of Tapat and Lapang-ap in Meghalaya had concluded and details of the outcome would be shared later through an official press release.
She added that further meetings could also be held on specific matters if required.
Meanwhile, Tuliram Ronghang appealed for calm while addressing reporters on the sidelines of another programme.
“So far nothing untoward has happened. Discussion is going on. A solution will be found through discussion,” he said.
Ronghang further stated that he had personally spoken several times with Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad Sangma regarding the issue and noted that committees from both sides were engaged in dialogue to resolve the dispute.






