HT Correspondent
SIVASAGAR, May 26: The state government’s new appointment of 44,703 candidates in various departments on Thursday was welcomed by thousands of people and various parties in the state. But it also attracted flakes from various quarters.
The state secretary of the CPI Kanak Gogoi, on Friday, said it is a good thing that our youths are getting jobs, but he cautioned the BJP not to make much hullabaloo over the issue as it was a part of their election commitments. Addressing the media, he said that minister Ajanta Neog made a statement that the BJP government would appoint 1 lakh youths every year and that remains a distant dream for the party. With 41,920 appointments last year, the government has so far appointed over 86 thousand in two years, but what about the rest of the over 26 lakh jobless in the state, Gogoi questioned.
Bidyut Bikas Gogoi, the district coordinator, Aam Aadmi Party, while commenting on the new appointments said that it is heart-warming that more and more Assamese youths have found government jobs. But if the government goes for another Rs 1000 crore loan for their salary, it would be a mockery of the whole appointment plan and of the financial health of the state.
Pranjal Pratim Phanikar, the Sivasagar district president of Trinamool Congress criticised the BJP government that it is an election gimmick. He said that the appointments are being made against a huge number of vacancies laying in various departments for years together. Further, to distribute a few appointment letters, the BJP organised a massive function in Guwahati with taxpayers’ money which is deplorable. He also said that there were overlapping appointments with one person getting jobs in a number of departments and thus depriving thousands of jobseekers of the opportunity.