KYIV, Aug 26 (AP): Russian forces struck a cafe in a key front-line area in northeastern Ukraine on
Saturday, killing two civilians and wounding a third, regional officials said.
The shelling near the city of Kupiansk came as UK officials said that Russia may try to retake the area, which was captured by Kyiv in a lightning counteroffensive last September after more than six months of Russian occupation.
Fierce fighting there earlier this month prompted mandatory evacuations and fears of a second
Russian takeover. Russian shells on Saturday morning struck the cafe in Podoly, an eastern suburb of Kupiansk, regional governor Oleh Syniehubov said in a Telegram post. He added that rescue teams were working at the site.
UK military intelligence on Saturday assessed that Russia may “increase the intensity of its offensive efforts” around Kupiansk and nearby Lyman in an attempt to take pressure off its forces near Bakhmut and in the Zaporizhzhia region, where a Ukrainian counteroffensive has reportedly made gradual gains.
Earlier this month, Ukrainian authorities ordered a mandatory evacuation of nearly 12,000 civilians from 37 towns and villages around Kupiansk, citing a concerted effort by Russian troops to punch through the front line.
After the Russian occupiers left Kupiansk last year, Ukrainian authorities said they found torture
chambers and mass graves in the region.
Also on Saturday, a new drone attack on Moscow forced an early-morning temporary shutdown of
all three major airports serving the city, Russian state media reported. Officials blamed Ukraine for
what appeared to be the latest of near-daily strikes on the Russian capital and the surrounding
Kyiv has since early this year sought to take the 18-month-war into the heart of Russia, also saying recently that it was behind strikes on Russian military assets far behind the front lines.
Russia’s defence ministry and Moscow Mayor Sergey Sobyanin said that a drone was shot down over the Istra district of the Moscow region, some 50 kilometres west of Red Square. Sobyanin said in a Telegram post that there were no immediate reports of any casualties or damage.
According to Russia’s state Tass agency, the Sheremetevo, Domodedovo and Vnukovo airports all
suspended flights for over an hour early on Saturday.
Russian Telegram channels on Saturday posted videos, some of them apparently from home security cameras, of what they claimed was Russian air defencse downing the drone.
One video shows a car parked outside what appears to be suburban home, its alarm beginning to
blare seconds after two loud blasts sound in the distance.
Russia’s defence ministry that same day blamed Ukraine for the attack. As of Saturday morning,
Ukrainian authorities had not said whether Kyiv had any involvement.
Russia and Ukraine traded multiple drone attacks earlier this week, with Kyiv apparently targeting
Moscow and the Kremlin’s forces launching another bombardment of Ukrainian grain storage depots in what have recently become signature tactics.
Also this week, Kyiv claimed it had destroyed a key Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile defense
system in occupied Crimea. Ukrainian media also claimed that Ukrainian saboteurs coordinated by
Kyiv’s military intelligence services carried out a pair of recent drone attacks that destroyed and
damaged bomber aircraft at air bases deep inside Russia. (AP)