DONGKAMUKAM, May 16: Karbi Anglong and Dima Hasao Cluster celebrated 100 years of the arrival of the Salesian missionaries into the North East at Sojong and Dongkamukam in West Karbi Anglong.
On the concluding day of the celebration Rt Rev Bishop Paul Mattekat DD of Diphu attended and held Holy Mass. The Bishop lauded the Salesians for their overall commendable contribution to the Church and Education to the society under Diphu Diocese and overall North East.
He asked the members of the Society of Don Bosco to evaluate themselves so that their efforts will take them to even greater heights.
A grand cultural show was organised on the occasion of the Karbi, Zeme Naga, Garo, Khasi, Tiwa and Adivasis.
Earlier, in the day Centenary monument was blessed and inaugurated by Rev Fr Januarious Sangma Provincial of Guwahati Province.
It may be recalled that 100 years ago on January 13, 1922, 11 Salesian missionaries arrived in Shillong, the then capital of Assam. In The Karbi Anglong and Dima Hasao district the Salesians set up Parishes in Sojong in 1973 (Fr Balawan) and Halflong in 1974. The other centres at present are Umswai, Amkachi, Boithalangso, Satgaon, etc.
Vicar General of Diphu, Fr John Timung, PP Sojong, Fr CB John, PP of Satgaon, Fr CA John, Fr Albert Thyrniang, Fr Robert Forstin and over 30 priests, sisters and several thousands of faithful attended in spite of the bad weather.